Manchester United have ended their pursuit of Bournemouth striker Joshua King and manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer does not expect to sign anyone before the transfer window closes.
Early on Friday Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe said he was “reluctant” to let 28-year-old King leave.
Howe said he would “not deny” reports linking King with a move to United.
But BBC Solent has learned United have told Bournemouth their pursuit of the Norway international is over.
King joined United at the age of 16 in 2008 but – after making two senior appearances – joined Blackburn five years later before joining Bournemouth in 2015.
At his news conference on Friday, Howe said: “I love Josh as a player and person. I know what Manchester United means to him with his history with the club, so I understand his position.”
United have been widely linked with a move for a striker and have currently completed the biggest deal of the January transfer window in signing midfielder Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon for an initial £47m.
On Friday, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said he “doesn’t think” the club will sign more players before the 23:00 GMT deadline.
Solskjaer has previously said that Ashley Young and Marcos Rojo would not be leaving Old Trafford this month but Young has moved to Inter Milan, while Rojo has gone on loan to former club Estudiantes in his native Argentina.